I am a Research Fellow in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The University of Melbourne, Australia. University Profile
I am also the Theme Coordinator of Internet of Things Sensors (Construction Tech) at Building 4.0 CRC
My research interests include Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Internet of Things (IoT) and Industry 4.0.
Email: aravinda dot rao (at) unimelb dot edu dot au
I received my PhD (specializing in Computer Vision) from the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Melbourne. I joined the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering in 2016.
My current research focuses on designing intelligent systems and AI algorithms for real-time applications, including:
- Performance of Real-time IoT Algorithms
- Detecting Concrete Cracks from Images for Structural Health Monitoring (SHM)
- Edge AI for Wearable Devices with Applications to Stroke and Rehabilitation
In the past, I have worked on a range of research projects, including:
- Crowd behavior analysis from videos (count people, estimate the density of people, track people movement and their behavior, detect loitering behavior, detect crowd events
- Camera-based assistive device to help navigate vision-affected people
- Design and deployment of IoT testbed for urban canopy monitoring in Melbourne
- Urban noise monitoring, water quality monitoring
- Design and development of wearable device for Acute Stroke Care and Epilepsy