I am a Research Fellow in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The University of Melbourne, Australia. University Profile
I am also the Theme Coordinator of Internet of Things Sensors (Construction Tech) at Building 4.0 CRC and a Senior Member of the IEEE.
My research interests include Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Internet of Things (IoT) and Industry 4.0.
Email: aravinda dot rao (at) unimelb dot edu dot au
I received my PhD (specializing in Computer Vision) from the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Melbourne. I joined the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering in 2016.
My current research focuses on designing intelligent systems and AI algorithms for real-time applications, including:
- Performance of Real-time IoT Algorithms
- Detecting Concrete Cracks from Images for Structural Health Monitoring (SHM)
- Edge AI for Wearable Devices with Applications to Stroke and Rehabilitation
In the past, I have worked on a range of research projects, including:
- Crowd behavior analysis from videos (count people, estimate the density of people, track people movement and their behavior, detect loitering behavior, detect crowd events
- Camera-based assistive device to help navigate vision-affected people
- Design and deployment of IoT testbed for urban canopy monitoring in Melbourne
- Urban noise monitoring, water quality monitoring
- Design and development of wearable device for Acute Stroke Care and Epilepsy